Many patients believe that scrubbing teeth with a firm tooth brush and heavy hand will do a more thorough job of keeping plaque from forming on teeth. However, this type of dental treatment done on a regular basis can do much more harm than good … your dentist will be able to tell right away if you are using the wrong tooth brush and brushing pattern and help you to correct it.
The consequences of incorrect brushing can include:
- Premature gum recession – you can literally brush so hard that gum tissue will begin to wear away exposing parts of the tooth that may experience uncomfortable zinging when exposed to hot or cold.
- Worn enamel – There are several ways to wear enamel down from grinding and clenching to over brushing. Exposed dentin can lead to the need for cosmetic repair to even out the appearance of misshapen teeth due to worn enamel.
- Bleeding gums – Brushing too briskly can make gums bleed unnecessarily. However, it is important to note that bleeding gums can be an indicator of the onset of gum disease. If gums bleed when brushing, switch to a soft bristle tooth brush and less pressure. If gums continue to bleed, an appointment with your dentist will confirm whether gum disease or improper brushing technique is the problem.
There are things that you can do to keep gum tissue healthy and teeth as free from dental plaque build-up as possible:
- Use a soft bristle tooth brush, steady, even up and down strokes, and a fluoridated tooth paste or gel. Brush at least twice per day, more often if you can.
- Floss daily – this will help keep gum tissue stimulated and help to minimize plaque build-up.
- See your dentist every six months for a thorough cleaning and dental exam. Teeth will be polished to look their best, and your dentist can closely monitor you to catch potential problems before they can escalate.
- Consider an electronic tooth brush – This takes the guesswork out of brushing pressure; you merely guide the toothbrush and it does all the work. Another advantage of an electronic brush is that most come with a built in timer encouraging brushing for a advised two minutes each time you brush.
Our dental team can teach you the proper brushing technique to keep teeth and gums healthy.
Some of the biggest objections patients give for wearing traditional dental braces include having to deal with a specialized diet, difficulty with daily hygiene care, and the appearance of metal bands and brackets. The availability of Invisalign clear aligners removes all of these concerns and more.
A consultation with your dentist will outline the many advantages of investing in Invisalign for teeth straightening:
- Aligners are clear – The patient can undergo teeth straightening utilizing transparent aligners allowing repair for a dental malocclusion that is virtually undetectable.
- Aligners are removable – There are multiple advantages to this including … the ability to eat and drink whatever you wish as aligners are taken out for snacks and meals. In addition, brushing and flossing are easily completed since aligners are removed for daily hygiene tasks. This is also advantageous when seeing the dentist every six months for a complete cleaning and exam since your dental provider can more easily monitor your orthodontic progress along with spotting any other problems before they have a chance to escalate. Plaque build-up is more controlled minimizing concerns for dental decay and gum disease.
- Invisalign aligners are made from a plastic that is softer and more comfortable than standard braces. There is no metal to cause abrasions to soft mouth tissues; and no metal wires to break and poke cheeks.
During your consultation, your dentist will take photographs, dental x-rays, and impressions … these tools will be used to determine your candidacy for Invisalign. Once qualified, these items will be sent to the Invisalign lab for fabricating of the aligners.
The aligners are made using 3-D digital technology … every few weeks aligners will be changed to keep the straightening process moving forward in a gentle, yet effective process.
It is important that aligners be worn at least twenty to twenty-two hours each day for progress to stay on track. Once straightening has been achieved, the patient will be wearing a retainer to allow teeth to form a “memory” of their new, corrected position. This is one of the most important aspects of treatment to prevent teeth from drifting back.
Having teeth straightened with Invisalign is both comfortable and convenient with the reward being a smile makeover that will last a lifetime coupled with straight teeth that will allow for healthier teeth and gums.
Contact Balcones Family Dental at 512-200-742 today to schedule your Invisalign consultation.