Your experience with the Invisalign orthodontic system can be a fantastic success when you have a complete understanding of all that your treatment entails. There are the basic principles if the system… you’ll wear consecutive sets of thin, clear tooth aligners for a period of weeks or months as your teeth are shifted into their correct positions. Aside from the basics, you’ll get the most from your treatment when you factor in a few of the most common considerations.
- Oral hygiene is still the key- Keeping your teeth free from the bacteria that cause gum disease and cavities will be essential before, during, and after your treatment. Allowing new (preventable) dental conditions to develop can derail your treatment and hinder your progress.
- It’s an all day and all-night affair- Most dentists recommend wearing your aligners for no less than 22 hours each day. That means that, aside from eating, drinking, and cleaning your teeth, your aligners must be worn continuously in order for you to achieve the desired results in a reasonable amount of time (this includes remembering to wear your aligners every night while you are asleep).
- Make the most of your mealtimes- You will need to remove your aligners whenever you have food or beverages (other than water), so planning your meals in advance and avoiding the urge to snack unnecessarily between meals will ensure that you keep your aligners on your teeth as much as possible.
- There may be some discomfort- Any method of moving or repositioning the teeth will elicit some discomfort. Fortunately, the Invisalign technique requires only gentle forces to be effective. You should expect some soreness as you transition to each new tray, and your dentist may recommend the same over-the-counter pain relievers that you would normally take for a mild headache.
- It’s a long-term commitment- Upon the completion of the active phase of treatment, a retainer is absolutely necessary if you want to maintain (or retain) your teeth in their new positions. The retainer will resemble the design of your previous aligners, and it will need to be worn indefinitely for the best long-term results.
To learn more about the details of your Invisalign treatment, contact our dental office at 512-200-7422 for a consultation .